The rules of this post were simple: I allowed myself one taxi ride the whole night (to show great budgeting style) and had to find bars in downtown Yangon (sometimes with the help of locals). Here’s what I came up with, the good and the bad, please take it for what it’s worth.
Rangoon Tea House (RTH) 77/79 Pansodan Rd., 1st floor
- Happy Hours: Monday-Friday, 4:00-7:00pm
- 50% off cocktails, house wine, & beer.
- Average cocktail price: 4,000-6,000ks.
- Average beer price: 3,500-4,000ks.
- Speedy WiFi, perhaps the best in Yangon, ask your server for password.
- TRY: Dragon Martini (6,000ks) one of the best, if not the best martini I’ve ever had.
- TRY: MR. Aung’s Chai Beer (4,000ks): for you chai tea lovers, this a must try!
- Snacks and food available from 1,800ks-16,000ks.
- TRY: Rangoon Samosa (1,800ks) vegetarian as well.
- I would vote RTH your best happy hour for your money.
- Total non-pretentious attitude.
Phayres Gastronomy 292 Pansodan Rd.
- Happy Hours: 5:00-8:00pm
- 3 for 1, yes that’s right 3 for 1 Tuborg Draft Beer.
- Average cocktail price: 4,000ks.
- Average beer price: 1,500ks.
- WiFi is available and decent.
- TRY: Pegu Club: signature cocktails, boasts a very sweet but sour taste.
- Easy-going, laid-back attitude.
Strand Hotel 92 Strand Rd. Yangon, 11141
- Happy Hours: Friday’s until 10:00pm.
- This is a tourist destination within itself.
- 50% off all drinks.
- Accepts U.S. Dollars as well as Myanmar Kyats.
- Delicious bowl of nuts served with your cocktails, and staff doesn’t let the bowl go empty.
- Bar staff brings around bar snacks such as local bites, and bite-size pizzas for you to munch on with your choice of beverage.
- Average cocktail price: $7 USD.
- Nice mix of different varieties of people. Not as over-pretentious as it seems.
Blind Tiger (Speakeasy) 93/95 Seikkanthar Rd., Kyuktada Tsp. Yangon, Myanmar
- Average cocktail price: 5,000ks-8,000ks.
- Average draft beer price: 3,000ks.
- Tapas menu for snacks averaging from 5,000ks-7,000ks.
- Bar nuts are served with your drinks.
- Fast WiFi available.
- The general manager Pannei Ye Win tells me that as of 2016, a new location and menu is introduced. Plans to also offer 50% off on cocktails & wine for happy hour will be soon implemented as soon as 01 May 2016.
50th Street Bar & Grill 9/13 50th St, Yangon
- Latest Happy Hour in Yangon.
- Weekdays & Sunday 8:00-10:00pm.
- Buy one, Get One: Draught beer, House wine, & house cocktails.
- Fast WiFi available.
- Bar Snacks are offered from 3,000-5,000ks.
- TRY: 50th Street Beach Party cocktail, you can’t go wrong.
Tin Tin 118 Bogalazay St. Botataung Township, Yangon.
- The only place on my list I didn’t get a chance to visit because it was closed due to Thingyan. However, this happy hour came highly recommended to me by some locals!
- Daily 6:00-7:00pm
- Margaritas and Beer. Buy one, get the rest free for an hour. So drink up!
- WiFi available.
- Tex-Mex food & snacks available averaging 7,500ks.
7th Joint Bar & Grill 48th St. & Mahabandoola
- Daily 5:00-8:00pm
- Myanmar’s first and only Reggae Bar, although I’ve been told it doesn’t often play Reggae music.
- 2 for 1, cocktails.
- Bar snacks available.
So the next time you’re in Yangon looking for a chic happy hour spot to drink, keep these places in mind if you are looking for a good deal. Especially when you are backpacking costs can add up fast, so it’s great to take advantage of some deals, when you can. Until next time, XOXO.